Thursday, October 1, 2015

Flower border print for mom

For the contest right before Mother's Day, the challenge was to make a floral border print, the idea being you could sew such a print into a skirt to give to your mother.

I wanted to use some of my mom's favorite flowers: jasmine, cherry blossoms, honeysuckle, and orange blossoms. (Which are also some of mine, seemingly not very coincidentally!) But I wanted to go for a more graphic rather than ornate feel, so I kept it to just navy and white.

Jasmine, cherry, honeysuckle, orange

Since all the flowers except honeysuckle are five-lobed, I used a tessellation of pentagons as the basis for the layout of the flowers. The background is a simple basketweave, previously seen here.

 Like so many of my designs, this one was in the bottom quartile of votes. The entry I'd be most likely to wear as a skirt myself featured thistles and yarrow. The one I liked best based on visual appeal, without regard to wearing, was this super-sweet and cute one.

No comments: