Thursday, October 8, 2015

Lemonade -> Lemon-aid

Lemonade was the theme for this contest. Since most designs would obviously be mostly yellow, I wanted to come up with a way of using darker colors. I used this as a starting point for what other colors look good with yellows.  And I decided to go for a pun rather than literal lemonade. Hence, lemon-aids:

lemon-aid

The background uses the kelp design I'm fond of as a texture. I really like how this turned out - very similar to the pickle herringbone, I like the colors, and the fact that it can be seen as an abstract pattern. But, it didn't even make it out of the bottom ten percent of the contest. My favorites were these sort of mid-century modern lemons (like something out of an old cookbook!) and these very airy graphic lemons.

No comments: