Saturday, February 23, 2019

Pysanky

So for the pysanky contest, my struggle was how to do something different. I knew that most of the entries would be depictions of traditionally-decorated eggs, either scattered, in a grid, or scalloped - or, just the traditional decorations themselves unrolled. What could I do that wouldn't just be an iteration of one of those?

Well, in the same vein as the papercut contest where I depicted the leftovers of doing a papercut, I decided to show the eggs BEFORE they got decorated. I made a lovely little gradient of eggshell colors, inspired by this.

blank canvas

This obviously had no chance of doing particularly well in the contest, but it may work well enough as an interesting - but not TOO interesting - pattern to get some sales. For instance, one of the designs I sell the most of (so perhaps half a dozen per year) is this one based on ye old primary school lined paper. The highly detailed, super-saturated novelty prints do well in contests, but I think they can be tricky to actually use. Most of the overall best sellers are actually quite simple - chevrons, arrows, and crosses, or very limited color usage. It's a little counter-intuitive, as you'd think people would get those kinds of prints more cheaply from regular fabric, rather than paying the premium for print-on-demand.

No comments: