Saturday, March 23, 2019

Happy Third Day of Spring

First to catch up, the theme of "affirmations." Well, mine wasn't exactly an affirmation, but a motivational quote that has always stuck with me:

show up and get to work

For the layout, I was inspired by this cuneiform inscription. Mine doesn't have nearly as nice a use of negative space, but I did what I could. I also did a version in yellow with gears in the background but ultimately decided simpler was better for the contest.

show up and get to work

My favorite entry was "today I fly."

For the "Bohemian Paradise" contest (another one of those very loose, "you'll know it when you see it" kind of themes) I tried to make something reminiscent of the folk embroidery such as on this shirt (also inspired by this).

Breezy Boho Embroidery

The entry I thought personally captured the spirit best was this one.

Next up, "moody florals." I did poppies and orchids combined. This is one of those designs where I really liked it as I made it, and then once I uploaded the final design I disliked it instead. Ah well. (The colors are from this cake.)

Poppies and Orchids

My favorite entry was the roses, which for some reason I really want to make into a shirtdress.

And finally, for the theme of "maximalism" (which most people interpreted as "busy!"), it fell in one of those weeks where I had almost no time so I slapped together something super quick in one of my favorite color schemes:

maximal! maximal! MAXIMAL!

My favorites were the halftone squares and this psychedelic abstract.

Out of all these, the "affirmation" one did the best by far - it actually made it into the top half of entries.

No comments: