Thursday, January 24, 2013

For whom the bell toiles

This week the contest was for a toile (again). This time, it was supposed to have a "murder mystery" theme. The most obvious way of making a murder mystery appealing? How about Clue! I drew a stereotypical dead body scene and surrounded it with garlands containing the six Clue weapons.

The colors I chose are supposed to be reminiscent of blood and bone. Specifically:

oh_thats_just_blood.
Color by COLOURlovers
 
bone_snow
Color by COLOURlovers

Then it was just a matter of getting that design into a repeat. Last time I felt like I had too much empty space - I'm pretty happy with the balance of drawing-to-background with this one.

Murder Mystery Board Game Toile

This came in 45 out of 75 with 91 votes. Given that this was a much more specific, and difficult, contest, there were fewer entries this week than usual. My favorite entry was the ludicrously cute thumbprint bird tableau that came in fourth. I also really liked the chess design and this mashup of Poe and a china pattern that came in eighth.

I was obviously not the only person to think of Clue. My favorite other Clue entry was this one.

No comments: