Thursday, March 1, 2018

The tortoise and the hare

This week's theme was to do a riff on the old fable of the tortoise and the hare. Kind of a "meh" theme in my opinion. I thought it would be funny to take it in a darker direction, so I depicted the aftermath of an escalating feud - the hare is wearing tortoiseshell glasses and the tortoise has a lucky rabbit's foot!

Tortoiseshell Glasses and Lucky Feet

I couldn't come up with a better way of combining the illustrations than just alternating in a checkerboard. I was much more interested in perfecting NEXT week's design, so I called this one "good enough" and moved on rather than agonizing over it. I knew it wouldn't do well and indeed, it came in very, VERY nearly dead last!

There's probably some kind of metaphor I could make here about continuing to plug away methodically, vs dashing off and being distracted and therefore getting a disappointing result...but I'll leave it there. Heh.

Out of the horde of hares-jumping-over-tortoises-and-green-rolling-landscapes designs, I liked these two the best.


No comments: