Thursday, July 25, 2013

*crickets*

Crickets is the theme for the week. Jiminy! I browsed through my color inspiration saved links and found this 300-year-old court gown. This then reminded me of the faux embroidery I drew for the wizard's robe, so I decided to take a similar tack and make this design look a little like elaborate embroidery.

A guideline from the culinary world is to pair meat with side dishes made from the food that the animal would have eaten. So in the same vein I wanted to include other motifs based on the diet of crickets. I saw that among other things they eat fungus, so bingo - crickets and mushrooms.

And finally, I pondered, what exactly is the difference between crickets and grasshoppers, in physical appearance? To me, the most noticeable was that crickets have much longer antennae. So I made sure to keep them nice and long in my drawings.

It was fun to do a much more free style of doodling for the fill patterns. I haven't done that for a long time. When I was done with the drawing, I remembered that the contest guidelines also stated that this was for a ditsy - so it needed to look good at a smaller scale. Once I shrunk it down, I decided adding in the highlights and lowlights on the "embroidery" as I did for the wizard's zodiac signs would be too busy, so I kept it to a very simple two colors.

Crickets and Mushrooms

This came in 37 out of 172 with 138 votes. My very favorite entry were these extremely cute cartoony crickets (which came in sixth). This was a close second in the cute category - not quite as cute, but more closely following the spirit of a true ditsy, rather than just being a general small-scale print. (Not that mine is really a ditsy either - everything is oriented vertically and all the mushrooms are the same way up.) Another favorite of mine was this soothing grouping with jasmine and ginkgo. On the more graphic side, a floral that activated my sticker-brain, and this scientific and slightly creepy scatter of parts.

Post script: I did some searching online to remind myself of traditional embroidery fill patterns. While doing so, I found this post showing examples of built-in stitches from a machine. It does little trees! And little turtles!! It's a good thing I don't own it or I'd probably have some crazy stitched border around the hem of every shirt I own.

No comments: