Thursday, February 7, 2013

Laissez les bon gâteau rouler

This week's theme - Mardi Gras! My take: king cakes. The closest I've been to a Mardi Gras was when my family stayed in the New Orleans-themed hotel area at Disneyworld. I hadn't even heard of a king cake until Cake Wrecks covered them. I found this more muted take on the traditional purple/green/yellow color scheme:

Louisiana_King_Cake
Color by COLOURlovers

I went for a pretty straightforward take, with little babies peeking out of the center of each one. I'm pretty happy with how the repeat turned out - it flows pretty well and, at least to me, there aren't any parts that jump out at the eye.

 King Cake

Consensus of those who chose to comment on my design (all of two them) was that the babies are creepy! I guess they kind of are, since they are just staring and not smiling. Maybe I'll upload a version that's just the cakes with no peeking dolls.

This came in 121 out of 152 with 37 votes. My favorite entry was this elaborate damask. Of simpler designs (that would be more usable in patchwork, probably), I liked these diamond confetti shapes, and of the many bead-inspired entries this was the best.

No comments: