Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recipe for fabric

This week's contest was for a design containing a recipe. When I mentioned this to my husband, he had the brilliant suggestion of basing it on the recipe for gunpowder instead of something edible. Yes! The first thing that came to mind when thinking about that, obviously, could be nothing else but the episode of Star Trek where Kirk creates gunpowder from scratch. Since this contest closed on December 27th, and I didn't have a chance to work on it early due to the previous entries and last-minute present making, I had to work on it when we were on the road visiting family at Christmas time. But fortunately, since I had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted it to look like it actually came together pretty quickly, and I was able to scrape together a few spare moments with my laptop and various family wifi networks to make this.

Kirk vs Gorn - How to make gunpowder

I'm much happier with this than I am with the previous two designs I made. I'm not entirely happy with the repeat, though, and wish it flowed together a little more smoothly. Also the text is a little stiff - I should have made it tilt and wiggle with the rock formations a bit.

It's interesting how some of the "nerdy" subjects pan out on Spoonflower. There are only a dozen Star Trek fabrics, and about twenty for Star Wars. But there are about 90 Doctor Who fabrics!

My design came in 60 out of 75, with 56 votes. A few other people went with punny non-food recipes like I did - there was a recipe for disaster and instructions on the creation of the universe (which came in 14th!).

No comments: