Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Creativebug fabric design

This contest was a little odd - it was only open to people who enrolled in a fabric design class in Creativebug. But, you could do it with a 14-day free trial, so I figured what the heck (I only ended up having time to watch two of the five lessons). There were no other restrictions than that. We were just supposed to apply whatever we'd felt we'd learned from that and make a design (so you couldn't use a design you had created already).  I decided to combine two things I'd seen on the internet lately that had caught my eye.

First, I really liked the pattern of the windows on this architectural model, so I started with that. Then, I read a post about the discovery of some ancient "treasure" in Kingsmead, and was struck by the list of beads made of gold, amber, jet, and shale. which inspired me to create this color palette:

Kingsmead_Treasure
Color by COLOURlovers

So, it all came together like this:

Beads, buttons, or windows

This design didn't have much of an impact and came in the bottom quarter of designs. Other than the bird-based design that won, I also liked the strawberries.

No comments: