Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Birthday Crafts

I got another craft book for my birthday this year (some months back): Patchwork Puzzle Balls by Jinny Beyer. I love Jinny Beyer's style - she does cleaner, more modern takes on traditional styles with an emphasis on color gradients. Her quilts use so many different fabrics that it's a little exhausting to think of. These balls are neat, because I always thought geometry was fun, and these are just geometic solids, stuffed tight until they become spheres. The trouble with projects like these, that are so easy to work up, is...what do you do with them? I'm not the type of person who likes having "decor" touches, like bowls of decorative things out just to look nice. I was thinking it would be fun to stuff these with beans or rice instead and use them as beanbags. One of my favorite toys as a kid was a set of beanbags my mom made out of fabric scraps - all kinds of calico and fun early-80's prints. Even so, I suppose I would have to take up juggling to get any use of out such a thing now. Hmm, maybe I could sew little bells in and give them to my mom as toys for her cats...

No comments: