Sunday, December 16, 2018

November-December catchup

OK, a few designs to catch up on!

For the "gender-neutral nursery wallpaper" contest, I went with the good ol' alphabet.


I actually wanted this to be a much larger repeat. I drew it such that the repeat would be four feet wide. However, I forgot that with wallpaper the max width of repeats is only two feet. (You can do extremely large repeats vertically though) So I had to make it half the size, darn it. The entry I'd be most likely to ever use was the pufferfish.

The next contest was Chinoiserie. I used a variety of CC-licensed icons and used colors reminiscent of Chinese vases. (I wanted to stay away from the classic blue-on-white since I knew the majority of entries would use that) And then, in a strike of utter brilliance, I forgot to actually enter it in the contest!

Chinese Icons

Oh well. My favorite was the koi fish.

Next! Something inspired by Fair Isle-style knitting. I wanted to do something that isn't normally on a Fair Isle sweater so I did poison dart frogs.

Knit Poison Dart Frogs

My favorite was the dragons.

For the "holidays around the world" I represented the celebration my mom made up for the winter solstice - chocolate pie, mixed nuts in the shell (of which I showed just pecans, my favorite) and mandarin oranges. I only had a very small window of time to work on it so I'm not all that proud of it.

On the solstice we eat pie, oranges, and pecans

My favorite was the little vintage-style snowy village.

Them, we had another wallpaper contest - for "large-scale black and white." I was able to correct my error of last time and kept the two-foot width in mind. I was inspired by this photo and came up with this:


The ones I liked the best were the monsters, the geometric clovers, these planets, and the columns.

For the sloth theme, I took a basic scallop shape and made it sloth faces:

Serene Smiling Scalloped Sloths

My favorite entry was this one.

And there we go! Happy Holidays!




No comments: