Friday, May 25, 2018

Winter in May

This week's theme was "Elegant Holiday", and the description clarified that it was to be for patterns you could imagine decorating a winter party. Say, on napkins or a throw pillow. Also, we were given a set of colors to use - two shades of burgundy and a grey (plus we were allowed to use black and white). There was quite a bit of complaining about these colors - it's a hard set to use. There's not a lot of contrast between the two burgundies, nor between the darker one and black.

I latched on to the "winter" part of things and made a design based on the "Three Friends of Winter" - pine, plum, and bamboo, so named because they don't wither in cold.

Sho Chiku Bai (Three Friends of Winter)

I'm really proud of how this came out - didn't have much effect on the contest though, as I still came in my usual 2/3 of the way down the list. My favorite was this floral.


No comments: