Thursday, December 3, 2015

Constructing Cthulhu

I was finally able to sew together the Cthulhu pillow I designed - I gave it to my niece for her birthday. Fortunately, my design worked the way I was hoping so I don't need to tweak the fabric.

I got it printed out on the "minky" fabric, which looked like this:
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Then cut out all the pieces.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

First, I sewed together the inner pillow, right sides together, leaving a gap for reversing and stuffing.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Then I filled it with rice. (And sewed the gap shut - by hand - after taking this picture)
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Next, I sewed the two sides of the slipcase together separately - just along the curve, leaving the bottom open.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Then, I turned one half of the slipcase right side out and put it inside the other.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

I sewed the two halves together, again leaving a gap.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Here's what it looks like turned right side out.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

And then turned so that the lining is inside the outer case, gap sewn shut.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

And voila, now the rice-filled pillow can be heated or cooled, and placed inside the slipcover!
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

Also you can reverse the slipcover to show the pattern on the other side.
Sewing together Cthulhu pillow

No comments: