Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cubes of strawberries stretching out into infinity - a.k.a. OM NOM NOM

This week's theme was "farmer's market." In my opinion, the item that is by far and away most improved when bought at a farmer's market over a supermarket: strawberries. I considered a few different ways to portray the berries and settled on putting them in the classic aqua-colored plastic pint baskets. And I love the classic cube-illusion tessellation of parallelograms, which seemed like a good fit. Until I started really looking at pictures of strawberries for this, I didn't quite realize how orange strawberry seeds are - in drawings they're usually just made white, which is how I see them in my mind's eye.

Isometric Strawberry Pints

The only thing I don't like about this is how the hulls ended up. I redrew them half a dozen times and just couldn't get them to look right. I also think that the "shine" on each berry reads better from close up than it does from this scale. But, I do really like how the pint baskets and overall isometric "cubiness" turned out.

This came in 66 out of 293 with 169 votes. My favorite entries were the tomato dot and radish damask (which came in third). There were a lot of prints for this theme that would be great as tablecloths, placemats, or grocery totes, like this fruit and flower watercolor, or a similar arrangement in a flat graphic style (which won), or these woodcut-like squares (which came in eighth). There were many other strawberry designs, my favorite of which was this one.

Speaking of tessellations, I forgot to mention that the layout of the frogs from last week was based on this frog design by M.C. Escher.

No comments: