Sunday, March 15, 2015

Another gap

Well, I fell off the face of the earth again (as far as the blog is concerned). The holidays are (well) over now! I have an honest-to-gosh sewing machine now, though I haven't been able to use it much so far. I did manage to make a few presents for Christmas, which I'll talk more about once I dig up pictures to post.

So the main thing to catch up on, as ever, are some Spoonflower contests.

The sad news, my streak ended - there was one contest in which I did not manage to enter. I did get an entry done, but due to poor decision making I uploaded it too late to enter the contest.  The theme was "ballet" and I decided to revisit my "ballerina plumber" idea (without being hampered by a watercolor format).

Ballerina Plumbers with wrenches


I used these colors as a starting point, but added some lighter and darker values:
classical_ballet
Color by COLOURlovers

I'm pleased with how it came out. It's always possible there could be a future contest that I could use this in - "Tomboys" or "What I want to be when I grow up" or something like that.  I also did a coordinating print of just the background pipes. My favorite entries were the slipper damask and these ultra-cute little dancers.

Now for some designs that I did enter into contests - but might as well not have, as they came in the bottom 10%. The themes were "math" and "thermoses."

This is based on Euler's Identity (a big favorite of both myself and my husband) and uses colors from "Baby's Book of Computer Science."

Euler

My favorite math entries were these assorted hexagons, polygons, and polyhedrons.

For thermoses, I just based my design on a cross-section of a thermos. It uses some of the same colors as my radish sprouts.

Vacuum Flask Cross-section

The entry I liked best was the one that expanded it into a general camping/Paul Bunyan theme.


No comments: