Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cocktail Dress

The latest Spoonflower contest was in conjunction with a nearby theater company, to create a print they could use to make a mid-century cocktail dress for a play.  It wasn't clear whether the play actually was being set in the fifties or sixties, or if they just wanted a retro look.  I looked at some mid-century dresses for inspiration, and found this skirt with a houndstooth/plaid weave I really liked.  Then I found this set of colors:

Fifties_Furniture_2
Color by COLOURlovers
  

And pulled it all together with some additional circular colorblocking.

 Spotted Houndstooth

My design came in 220 out of 367, with 60 votes. My favorite entry was this jeweled design. The designs I would most like on a dress for myself were this leafy one and these cubes with springs of flowers. There were a number of traditional tossed floral designs, the best of which I thought were these, these, and these.  Also good was this peacock/paisley meld (which came in second), these jester-like ovals (which came in ninth), and the tongue-in-cheek pills.

No comments: