Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A couple of cakes

Here, finally, is the last of the backlog of Spoonflower contests I have to catch up with before going back to merely once a week.  This contest was another more specific one - we had to make designs involving cake (or cupcakes) out of collaged paper, with only the minimum of digital manipulation needed to get it into a repeat. I decided to make plain cake slices, and thought it would be fun to make them out of pictures from catalogs! I gathered up Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, and Garnet Hill, then cut out all the areas I could find that had large-enough, interesting textures.  Then I paired them up and decided which ones would be "icing" and which would be the actual "cake." In lieu of scanning them in, I enlisted my husband - who has been honing his photography skills by taking tons of amazingly cute pictures of our son - to photograph them.  Then it was just a matter of getting them all arranged in a repeat so that the light/dark values were evenly distributed.

Cake Slices

My entry came in 20 out of 143, with 239 votes. Definitely one of my best results!

My favorite entry by far was this one, which came in second. It reminds me of a set of illustrations I saw years and years ago in Sesame Street Magazine.  It was a cut-out game, of memory or go-fish or something, where all the sets were little cakes.  Instead of drawings of cakes though, they were photographs of little clay cakes. They were all two or three layers, in all different colors, with fancy piped borders and decorations and flowers.  I loved the three-dimensional look of all those perfect little cakes. This fabric is simpler, but has a similar charm.  I'm trying to think what it would be good to make into - maybe placemats.

No comments: